Thursday, January 12, 2006

RE: ALITO

Dave. I'm back from my hiatus. I'd like to report that liberal ecoterrorists kidnapped me locked me up in a basement after literally ripping the pump out of my hand at the local Exxon (who knew that one of those gas station "fresh" subs could keep one sustained for two weeks?). Only, none of it is true. I've just been in a funk but the Alito hearings have awakened me and I'm back to my posting duties. Viva la CB.

I expect that Alito will be confirmed at this point unless something drastic happens, which would be a shame. I'm very curious how the Roberts high court will shape up and just how conservative it will be. I don't really think that we're going to see any real dramatic scaling back or thwarting of the metastasization of liberal constitutional theory until a fifth solid conservative (assuming Roberts and Alito are who they say they are and remain so) is placed on the Court, be it a replacement for Ginsburg, who's had health problems, Stevens, Souter or Breyer.

But anyone on the right would have to admit that having Alito on the bench would be a huge improvement over what was there before. Hopefully, this nation's highest level of jurisprudence will entail fewer balancing tests and more originalism for the foreseeable future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home